ABB TropOS 1420 Outdoor Mesh Edge Node
TropOS 1420 wireless mesh edge nodes enable cost-effective, secure IP communications for utility, mining, oil and gas, and industrial applications that monitor and control field automation endpoints such as intelligent electrical devices, industrial process controllers and SCADA devices. They provide superior reliability by accessing 653 MHz of RF spectrum (463 MHz in ETSI) using the automatic interference avoidance capabilities of TropOS Mesh OS. TropOS 1420 edge nodes use the 802.11a/b/g/n wireless standards to deliver 600 Mbps total wireless data rate, 300 Mbps at 2.4 GHz and another 300 Mbps at 5 GHz.
Industrial companies increasingly use wireless communications networks to monitor and control thousands of automation devices in the field. These field area networks support a diverse set of applications including automated metering infrastructure and distribution automation for utilities; telemetry and mining management systems for mining; wellhead monitoring and logging for oil and gas; traffic signal management and video monitoring for transportation; process control for refining and chemicals; and SCADA for a variety of industries.
In the past, utilities and other industrial companies have often used proprietary low-speed wireless communication devices with little security for their field area networks. The newly announced TropOS 1420 provides an economical vehicle for utilities and other industrial companies to securely implement field automation communication. It delivers the most advanced set of standards-based security features available for field area networks including a built-in firewall and a built-in IPsec VPN in every unit.
Each TropOS 1420 implements a multi-layer, multi-application security model that provides defense-in-depth and enables traffic from different applications and user groups to be segregated on separate virtual local area networks (VLANs). Each VLAN has its own address space, quality of service policies and security policies including the ability to create one or more IPsec VPNs per VLAN. The TropOS 1420 employs RADIUS, 802.1x, and 802.11i authentication, AES encryption and HTTPS-based remote access to secure field area networks from unauthorized devices, users and snooping. It supports serial and Gigabit Ethernet connectivity as well as DNP3, IEC 61850 and Modbus, to provide future-ready operation to legacy automation devices installed in the field. In addition, the product family’s operating software provides the technical controls required to achieve NERC CIP v5 compliance.
- IEEE 802.11b/g/n radio: 2.400 - 2.473 GHz (FCC/IC), 2.400 - 2.483 GHz (ETSI/EU)
- IEEE 802.11a/n radio: 5.150 - 5.350 GHz (FCC/IC), 5.470 - 5.850 GHz (FCC/IC and ETSI/EU)
- One 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet port
- One serial port (RS-232 or RS-485)
- Protocols: DNP3, Modbus (RTU), Modbus (ASCII), raw (serial pass-through) support
- IPv4; IPv6-ready
- IEEE 802.1q VLAN support (ESSID and IP based tagging)
- Session-persistent mobility across subnets
- Automatic rate, power, channel and band control
- Reliable broadcast to support IEC 61850 GOOSE messaging and System 800xA RNRP
- Local and remote management tools via HTTPS
- Over the air software upgrades
- Technical controls required to achieve NERC CIP v5 compliance
- Integrated firewall
- IPsec VPNs
- Authentication: WPA, WPA2, 802.11i, RADIUS, 802.1x (includes EAP-TLS, EAP-TTLS, EAP-SIM, PEAP)
- Encryption: open, WEP, TKIP, AES-CCM
- Backup battery
- Software and hardware maintenance plans